-
September 8th, 2007, 02:25 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Ok Folks, on my A-7's I've got 803B multicell's, stock 299-8A drivers with DIY N501-8A crossovers.
But I think I'd like a little more Ka-zizzle up top. What would be a good Inexpensive solution for this situation ?
Thanks
Willie
-
September 8th, 2007, 04:14 PM
#2
Inactive Member
How about an equalizer? I know that many feel that EQ is a filthy thing, but no speaker system has a flat response. You could try a $50 Teac EQA-120, which is surprising quiet and clean sounding for the money.
My choice was a 31 band, automatically calibrating, Sabine PowerQ for about $1600. That beauty (used by the chief engineer at Electric Lady Studios, BTW) flattened my Altec 1205Bs to +/-0.5dB from 25Hz to 16kHz in about 5 seconds. The PowerQ serves as the system EQ, while a Spectro Acoustics 210R and the EQ on my McIntosh C42 serve as program EQ to handle the enormous variations that occur in the frequency response of different recordings.
By judicious (very important!) use of EQ and a TC Electronic Finalizer Express mastering processor, I can "remaster" practically any CD of an old album in about 5-10 minutes. Everyone who's heard the difference has been immediately convinced.
-
September 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
How about a passive EQ/compensation circuit added to the HF path after the dividing network, much as was done to smooth the HF response with many of the Altec systems using 1 inch compression drivers?
-
September 8th, 2007, 05:04 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Originally posted by drummerwill:
But I think I'd like a little more Ka-zizzle up top. What would be a good Inexpensive solution for this situation ?
Thanks
Willie
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How about a small super tweeter crossed over at 10-12k first order? Maybe hung on the top inside surface of the bass horn so it fits between woofer and mid horn. I never could get the large format drivers to eq up adequately to satisfy hifi needs. Can't beat large format horns for lush midrange though.
http://estore.websitepros.com/1736754/Detail.bok?no=92
-Ed
-
September 8th, 2007, 05:27 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
.
I think the right way to go is to get a second pair of 803 horns. Then go 3 way 500 to 5600 with 290 drivers and 5600 to 16000 with 288 drivers.
The tweeter way would be good if you had a 511 sectoral horn or a bi radial horn.
So let's talk
.........................
-
September 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Hmm, unless there's been a breakthrough change in the large format drivers I'm not aware of, none are going to do the top end justice on a multi-cell, though a purpose designed WG could be made to work with the trade-off being a huge loss of efficiency. Doubling up 803Bs to accomplish this is an extravagant waste of drivers/horns/efficiency IMO, though it might look impressive enough not to notice the so-so SQ of the HF response.
Since cost is an issue, then adding one of these with an appropriate XO should be a good choice if they really are of the same SQ as the Motorola units I've used: http://www.adelcom.net/MOTOROLA_ksn1177a.htm
-
September 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
#7
HB Forum Owner
-
September 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
.
A mid high combo 3 way bi amp VOTT or any other theater type or Touring concert system don't use tweeters.
CPC mid high system

.....................
-
September 8th, 2007, 10:16 PM
#9
HB Forum Owner
Wente & Thuras spent months and months and months in a vain attempt to get the original 3-way WE theatre systems with the Bostwik (sp?) tweeters in phase - they finally gave up and threw the tweeters away.
Or, as my friend the late Dr. Paul S. Veneklasen used to say, "It's all about phase - nobody talks about phasing, and it's SO important!"
3-way systems are hard to control for many reasons, one of which is also the different directivity patterns of the audio waves at crossover...
-
September 8th, 2007, 10:22 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Convergence, that blanket statement is off.
Lots of systems running Altec use tweeters. I've seen dozens. The ONLY people doing what you say is CPC. One example does not set the rule.
Tom suggested the piezos. I have used 4 in a column, use a series resistor 20-50 ohm.
Problem is piezos go lower than they should- if you parallel an 8 ohm resistor across the stack, it will then present a resistive load.. You can then use a cap to roll out the mid- 7 KHz is a good place to bring in piezos.
An alternative is to wire the piezos past an L-pad. this presents a resistive load And provides a level control.
The piezo's should be stacked vertically to minimize comb effects.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks